Recognition of foreign qualifications
Diplom, © Colourbox
Skilled workers whose foreign qualifications are not (yet) recognized in Germany can take further educational courses to achieve the recognition of their qualification and to take up employment in their field.
This applies primarily to trained doctors without a German professional license and other occupational groups (pharmacists, psychotherapists, dentists and veterinarians, nurses for the sick or elderly, certain skilled trades, teachers, educators, lawyers ...).
A visa can only be issued if the applicant presents to so-called “Defizitbescheid”. This notification of deficits is issued by the authority that is responsible for the recognition of the qualification and the professional licensing. The notification has to establish that a certain educational measure or examination (occupational/language skills) is required for the recognition of the qualification or the professional license.
Applications for the recognition of foreign qualifications / professional licenses can be launched from abroad. Some federal states only issue the notification of deficits, the recognition or the license if you can prove that you have been locking for a job in that federal state. Thus we recommend to already start looking for jobs from Bahrain and submit proof of that with your application for recognition of foreign qualifications.
Prepare your application
You should start preparing your application as soon as you have plans for your long-term stay in Germany. Prepare your application according to the following list and submit the documents with 2 copies when applying for a visa:
- copy of valid passport (including all pages that are not blank)
- a completed and personally signed national visa application form (please use the online application form VIDEX)
- Declarations according to § 54 (2) no. 8 in conjunction with § 53 of the German Residence Act, duly signed
- 2 recent biometric passport photos (not older than 6 months)
- Bahrain CPR or Bahrain visa & entry stamp
- so-called Notification of Deficits (“Defizitbescheid”) from the authority responsible for the recognition of the foreign professional qualification mentioning the adaptation measures required for the recognition or the professional license
- admission/confirmation of all educational measures necessary for the recognition or professional license (e.g. (specific) language course booking, preparatory courses for the assessment test, if necessary signed internship contract, ...)
- German or foreign university degree
- if applicable: legalized professional license from Bahrain
- proof of German knowledge, usually at the Level B1
- proof of financing of the entire stay:
- work contract and detailed job description for the period prior to the recognition (including binding confirmation of the employer that all necessary education measures can be concluded at full pay) and work contract and detailed job description for period after recognition of foreign qualification or
- blocked account at a German bank for 11.364 €/year (2023) or
- formal obligation letter according to section 66 to 88 German Residence Act by a person with permanent residence in Germany for the whole study period or
- scholarship confirmation
- personal motivation letter
- detailed CV including your educational and professional achievements
- if applicable: current employment letter
- if applicable: evidence of professional experience corresponding to the qualification
- visa fee of 75€, to be paid in BHD
Before the visa can be issued, the German Mission will request an “Incoming” health insurance valid from the date of entry to Germany.
All documents are to be presented in original or certified copy along with two sets of copies.
Foreign documents issued in other languages than German have to be submitted with an official translation.
The embassy reserves the right to request additional documents.
Important notes on the visa procedure
Please do not send unrequested documents to the embassy, especially not before applying for the visa, as those cannot be kept. Please submit all documents when applying in person at the embassy. Incomplete applications will be rejected or denied.
Foreign public documents need to be duly legalized by the competent German Mission in the issuing country, or, if applicable, provided with an Apostille. For documents from some countries, individual document verification might be necessary, that process would require more time and an additional fee.
The processing of the visa application usually takes at least three months, often longer.
The embassy decides on your application based on the provided documents. You will be contacted as soon as the application has been decided. Please note that questions regarding the status of your visa application cannot be answered. Due to data protection regulation, no status updates can be given via phone.
Book your appointment
To submit your application, please book an appointment and appear in person at the embassy. The embassy will accept your complete application documents including the visa fee, will conduct a short interview with you and register your biometric data.
Applicants are kindly requested to book an appointment through the online system of the Embassy in Bahrain
Further information of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, for construction and Homeland.
Additional information of the Federal Employment Agency.
Make it in Germany, the welcome page for foreign skilled workers.
Recognition in Germany https://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/html/en/, the Information page of the Federal Government about the recognition of foreign qualifications.
Database of limited professions (in German). https://berufenet.arbeitsagentur.de/berufenet/faces/index?path=null
Information page about foreign qualifications ANABIN.
For information on language courses and examinations please see the webpage of the German Embassy
If you have any additional question that has not been answered in this article, you can contact us. Please refrain from questions that are explained on this Website.