Foreign professionals with a German or other recognized university degree or a foreign university degree equivalent to a German university degree or who have undergone a qualified vocational education in Germany or an equivalent foreign qualification are eligible to enter Germany to seek employment in accordance with their qualifications. Holders of a job seeker visa may stay in Germany for up to six months to seek employment.
Due to the present situation in the German labor market, potential workers from outside of Germany have a good chance of finding employment. German labor market is searching for qualified employees in the following categories: doctor of human medicine (MD), caregivers, technology and craftsmanship.
To obtain a job seeker visa, applicants have to provide proof of their qualification and sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of their planned stay. In addition, they are required to present proof of sufficient means for the return trip in case of unsuccessful job search. While seeking employment, job seekers are allowed to work on a test basis for up to 10 hours per week. Further employment is not allowed. Jobseekers are not eligible for family reunion.
Potential applicants can verify if their foreign university degree is recognized or equivalent through the website ANABIN.
In general, applicants with a university degree do not have to prove German language skills in order to apply for a job search visa. However, the chance of a realistic job offer increases if the applicant can prove that he/she has German language skills. Companies recognize immediately if you are committed to find a job.
Professionals with a qualified vocational education have to have acquired knowledge of German that matches the sought job, in general at least on the level of B1.
If your job search has been successful, the local Alien’s Authority in Germany can change your visa into a residence permit without you having to leave Germany again to get a work visa.
Preparing your application
You should start preparing your application as soon as you have plans for your long-term stay in Germany. Prepare your application according to the following list and submit the documents with 2 copies when applying for a visa:
- copy of valid passport (including all pages that are not blank)
- a completed and personally signed national visa application form (please use the online application form VIDEX)
- Declarations according to § 54 (2) no. 8 in conjunction with § 53 of the German Residence Act, duly signed
- 2 recent biometric passport photos (not older than 6 months)
- Bahrain CPR or Bahrain visa & entry stamp
- German university degree or recognized foreign university degree or university degree that is equivalent to a German university degree including relevant excerpt of the ANABIN database or proof of a qualified vocational education in Germany or an equivalent foreign education (minimum duration of vocational education 2 years)
- Detailed CV including educational and professional experience, including letters of experience etc.
- Motivation letter including details about the intended job search (line of business, regions, etc.), which is aligned with your field of studies.
- Proof of previous job search efforts from Bahrain (e.g. contacts with potential employers, job interviews and/or online interviews with interview results).
- proof of sufficient financial means to finance the stay in Germany over the period of 6 months by either
- a blocked bank account in Germany with the amount of 5.682,- € or
- personal means proven by bank statements of the last 6 months or
- a formal obligation by a resident of Germany according to the German Residence Act
- if applicable: proof of professional experience
- if applicable: current employment letter
- if applicable: proof of German/English language knowledge
- for professionals without university degree: proof of knowledge of German at B1 Level
- visa fee of 75€, to be paid in BHD
Before the visa can be issued, the embassy will request a valid health insurance for Germany.
All documents are to be presented in original or certified copy along with two sets of copies.
Foreign documents issued in other languages than English or German have to be submitted with an official Translation
The embassy reserve the right to request additional documents.
Important notes on the visa procedure
Please do not send unrequested documents to the embassy, especially not before applying for the visa, as those cannot be kept. Please submit all documents when applying in person at the Mission. Incomplete applications will be rejected or denied.
Foreign public documents need to be duly legalized by the competent embassy in the issuing country, or, if applicable, provided with an Apostille. For documents from some countries, individual document verification might be necessary, that process would require more time and an additional fee.
The processing of the visa application usually takes at least three months, often longer.
The embassy decides on your application based on the provided documents. You will be contacted as soon as the application has been decided. Please note that questions regarding the status of your visa application cannot be answered. Due to data protection regulation, no status updates can be given via phone.
Book your appointment
To submit your application, please book an appointment and appear in person at the mission. The embassy will accept your complete application documents including the visa fee will conduct a short interview with you and register your biometric data.
Applicants are kindly requested to book an appointment through the online system of the Embassy in Bahrain.
General information, e.g. on the recognition of foreign qualifications, on employment opportunities in Germany or on social security issues, can also be found on the website of the Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung (ZAV), at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees and on the EURES portal (European Employment Services).
General information on migration of skilled workers can be found at make-it-in-germany.
If you have any additional question that has not been answered in this article, you can contact us. Please refrain from questions that are explained on this Website.