Visa information

22.11.2023 - Article

Most third country nationals (non-EU/non-EFTA states) require a visa to enter Germany. Mainly, there are two different types of visas. How long you intend to stay determines the visa type.

Which visa type do I need for Germany - a Schengen visa or a national visa?

If you want to travel to Germany for a period of up to 90 days – for a visit, as a tourist, on business, or for medical treatment, etc. – you will need a Schengen Visa.

If you want to stay in Germany for more than three months - to study, work, reunite with your family, etc. - you will need a National Visa.

If you are still unsure, which visa type you need, please use the visa navigator to find out.

For more information about the application process, the fees and documents to submit, please click on the visa type below.

The EU has abolished the visa requirement for citizens of some countries. Please consult the list here.

Top of page